The attitude of the individual determines the attitude of the group. It is tremendously important that leaders of a community maintain inwardly and exemplify outward a positive attitude even in the heat of adversity. Just as much as negativity is infectious, positivity is just as strong! Glorifying positive achievements instead of negative things, and building upon them creates a pattern of positivity that will lead to even greater achievements. The process of successful accomplishing involves a series of failures. If you’re not failing, you’re not trying. Every great development involved someone failing before someone succeeding! Many are quick to dismiss the Holiday Market as a flop and wastes of taxpayer money … once again people are failing to see the positive developments! Take the mastermind behind the development for example; Marc Rivers exemplifies some great attributes of a leader which is probably why he owns a successful business. Marc Rivers went against the grain, against the cloud of naysayers, against the preeminent negative development hurdles, endured scrutiny and criticism from local politicians, and like, Marion Lazan, he maintained a positive optimistic attitude throughout the end. The Holiday Market failed at generating revenue which many are quick to notice (negativity outbreak). However, the Holiday Market was successful in igniting enthusiasm during the holiday season, bringing people downtown that otherwise wouldn’t be there, and most important it provided a blueprint to grow from! Every mistake made is progress. Mistakes teach important lessons. Every time one is made, you’re one step closer to reaching success. The only mistake that can be made is choosing to do nothing simply because you’re too scared to make a mistake. Marc Rivers wasn’t afraid of making a mistake, he pushed forward and brought about an event that can ONLY improve in the future! Henry Ford went bankrupt 5 times before he successfully founded Ford Motor Company. Learn from mistakes and improve the development next year. The Holiday Market will only be a failure if it doesn’t manifest itself again from a revised version of Marc River’s blueprint! Snow Park Niagara successfully told us that a year-round snow park is not an ideal development right now; however Joe Andersen would make a mistake if he didn’t try another development idea. He’s mastered one key success attribute; fail and keep trying despite your repeated failures. There are signs of progress everywhere you turn! Failure is Progress Only If It Doesn’t Lead to Inaction!
“The primary reason for failure is that people do not develop new
plans to replace those plans that didn’t work.” - Napoleon Hill
Optimism and Enthusiasm are KEY attributes of attaining success. None of the greatest triumphs in history would have occurred hadn’t it been for an unparalleled enthusiasm for succeeding and optimism that success was inevitable. By not taking action and risks, how can one grow? You might miss out on a successful development if you’re afraid of making mistakes and rejecting potential developments before even giving them a try. While studying at Yale University, Fred Smith presented a business idea to his business management class that received a nearly failing grade. The idea was for a parcel service that could deliver packages overnight. Smith ignored the grade and founded FedEx. Because of past failures like Snow Park Niagara, there is hesitancy to potential developments from politicians. There was and continues to be hesitancy to embrace the Wallenda stunt walk in Niagara Falls … hesitancy hinders enthusiasm. You cannot have enthusiasm and excitement for something if there is uncertainty surrounding it from top leaders and officials! Remember, the attitude of the individual determines the attitude of the group. Officials should be expressing enthusiasm and encouraging developments instead of purely being critics! Become optimistic for success and NOT worrisome over failure!
“Success comes to those who become success conscious. Failure comes to those who indifferently allow themselves to become failure conscious” - Napoleon Hill
There is a ton I could go on discussing but I’ll just leave with a few principles and quotes that I have full confidence in as guiding principles towards reaching my own personal aspirations which as you can guess is revitalizing Niagara Falls
1. “If what you are doing is not moving you towards your goals, then it’s moving you away from your goals” - Brian Tracy
2. "Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing." - Harriet Braiker
3. Wake Up Today & Decide You're Going to Make A Difference in Somebody's Life ... Change Starts With You
4. Be an example and a leader, instead of going along with what everybody else is doing. Don’t be afraid to step out into the spotlight and do something others haven’t. While others wait to see whats going to happen, leaders step forward and rise to the challenge.
5. Never Lose Hope in the Future. It is the Fuel Driving Ambition. No Power Lies in the Present; Power is in Hope in the Future!
6. “Many of life's failures are men who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up” - Thomas Edison
7. “Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm” - Winston Churchill
8. The determined & persistent person begins their success where others end in failure! Stay Motivated & Driven to Succeed All Day Every day!
9. "The starting point of all achievement is desire. Weak desire brings weak results." - Napoleon Hill
10. "A great leader's courage to fulfill his vision comes from passion, not position." ~ John Maxwell